Paperwork when moving to Spain

On the 6th of April 2017 I arrived in Valencia to start my new life here. I came with 2 big suitcases and a backbag. It was hard for me to pack because I wanted to bring so many personal things or souvenirs but in the end I decided to just bring the most important things. So I packed my clothes and all necessary documents. I can always bring the rest of my stuff later when visiting my family in Austria.

The first week I went to the Oficina de Extranjeria to get the NIE. The NIE is an identification number for foreigners. The identitiy card for spanish people is called DNI but for foreigners it is called NIE. Here in Spain the NIE is necessary for like everything. I need it to open a bank account, to sign a phone contract, for work etc. So that’s kind of the most important thing to do after arriving.

If you don’t have a job already when moving to Spain (like me) you will first get the NIE in form of a paper which is valid for 3 months. The identification number will not change, you just need to get the NIE in form of a card once you have a job or within the first 3 months.

After filling in the form called EX-18 (Asignacion del NIE) I had to go to a national police station and after like 15 minutes in the office I received my NIE in form of a sheet of paper. Important!: Before going to the police station you need to pay a fee which is 9,45 Euros. You fill in the form (link below), go to the bank, pay the fee and then make a reservation at the police station.

You can download the necessary forms here:

The form you need to fill in in order to pay the fee is called Modelo 790 Codigo 012. You just go to a bank with this paper and the money.

If there are any other questions please feel free to contact me at any time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s